The winners of a competition to design a logo for the bells of Ruthin have been announced.
The competition, open to all primary school children in the town, was organised as part of the bells restoration project at St Peter’s Church, Ruthin. The logo will be used to promote the project and encourage a new generation to train as bell ringers
The £150,000 scheme, partially funded by the National Lottery, will see all eight nineteenth church bells cleaned, repaired and fitted to a new metal frame, replacing the ancient oak frame. Better access to the bell tower will be created making bell ringing safer in the future.
All 120 entries to the logo competition will go on display at the Ruthin Craft Centre at the end of March but the winners and their designs have been unveiled. They are:
Rhos Street School:
First: Emily Debicka
Second: Constance Wight
Third: Emma Meyers
Ysgol Pen Barras:
First: Nest Emlyn Mars-Lloyd
Second: Lily Mai Green
Third: Ted Davis
First: Tomos Roberts
Second: Tyler Parry
Third: Pheoby Selby
The Warden of Ruthin, the Revd Stuart Evans, said: “Congratulations to all the winners of our competition to design a logo for our Bells project. It was a pleasure to see the creativity among the young people of the town. We look forward to exhibiting the 120 entries at the Ruthin Craft Centre at the end of March.
“The first-place winners in each school have been invited to visit the foundry in Loughborough where the bells of St Peter’s are being restored. Six of the eight bells were cast there originally in 1843, bought by public subscription by the people of the town.
“John Taylor and Co Bellfounders have a long history of casting and restoring bells and they’re taking good care of ours to ensure they can be rung again safely and in tune later this year.”
The bells were removed from St Peter’s in November and taken by lorry to Loughborough. A coach will leave Ruthin on 28 February to visit the foundry and look around the company’s workshop and museum.
The restored bells are expected to return to Ruthin later in the Spring for a service of blessing. It’s likely to be the summer before the bells are heard across the town once again.
Notes for editors
About the bells at St Peter’s Collegiate Church
Archives show that “a great bell” has been rung at St Peter’s since at least 1654 and by 1788 the church had a peal of six. These were replaced in 1843 and two new treble bells added in 1889, to make a peal of eight. By the 1970s rumours that the church spire was structurally unsafe, stopped the bells being run regularly. Until the bells were removed for restoration in November, only the curfew bell was rung weekly, a reminder of its role in the medieval period when the town’s gates were closed at 8pm.
St Peter’s is in the centre of Ruthin and is part of the Dyffryn Clwyd Mission Area in the Diocese of St Asaph, one of six dioceses making up the Church in Wales. Follow us on facebook StAsaphDiocese and twitter @stasaphdiocese
Thanks to National Lottery players, we invest money to help people across the UK explore, enjoy and protect the heritage they care about – from the archaeology under our feet to the historic parks and buildings we love, from precious memories and collections to rare wildlife. www.hlf.org.uk. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and use #NationalLottery and #HLFsupported
Diolch am eich amynedd - rydym yn gweithio ar gyfieithu ein gwefan a bydd y tudalennau Cymraeg ar gael cyn bo hir.